Cambio Center News - February 2008
- Save the date! The Cambio Center at the University of Missouri announces the 1st Student Midwest Latino Research Symposium: Los Pioneros del Futuro . September 26-27, 2008, at MU. This significant effort is being led by Cambio Center student fellows Monique Mendoza and Kawika Allen. (Initial announcement available.)
Nadia Navarrete-Tindall, Plant Sciences Senior Research Scientist
and Cambio Center fellow, has received the coveted “Missouri
Conservationist of the Year” award
The Missouri Department of Conservation has only given this award 55 times since the early 1940's. Nadia's accomplishments include a multidisciplinary approach to conservation as well as her work with minorities. ¡Felicitaciones, Nadia!
- The Cambio de colores 2008 program is now available at the conference website.
- March 3, 2008 - Cesar Chavez’s granddaughter, Julie Chávez Rodríguez will give the First Annual César Chávez Lecture at the University of Missouri – Kansas City. (PDF Flyer available.)
- The Latino Studies section of LASA has issued the call for papers for the 2009 conference, to be held in Brazil: Please check the section website for more information, including the report of the Montréal conference.
Publications of interest
Jeffrey S. Passel and D’Vera Cohn:
U.S. Population Projections: 2005-2050,
Pew Research Center, February, 2008.
If current trends continue, the population of the United States will rise to 438 million in 2050, from 296 million in 2005, and 82% of the increase will be due to immigrants arriving from 2005 to 2050 and their U.S.-born descendants.
Susan Minushkin and Mark Hugo López:
The Hispanic Vote in the 2008 Democratic Presidential
Primaries, Pew Hispanic Center, February 2008
This report examines the turnout, demographic characteristics, opinions and voting patterns of the Hispanic electorate in Democratic primaries and caucuses held so far in 2008.
- Stuart Anderson and Michaela Platzer: “American Made: The Impact of Immigrant Entrepreneurs and Professionals on U.S. Competitiveness” (PDF), National Venture Capital Association (NVCA), 2007.